St Barnabas, Inham Nook, stands at the top of Inham Road, at the western end of the parish of Chilwell. It was opened in 1957 as a daughter church of Christ Church, Chilwell, to serve a new housing estate, Inham Nook, built after the Second World War.
The building on the site today was originally intended as a church hall, with a large open space left adjoining Inham Road for the church. It became clear that funding would not be available for a new church, and at various times in the past fifty years the building has been modified to provide suitable church and community facilities. A major extension completed in 1999 has converted the building into a main hallway, used as a church and, during the week, community area (with shutters to close off the sanctuary), and rooms, a kitchen and modern toilet facilities to provide space for additional church and community activities.
The church remains a sister church of Christ Church, but operates independently both in church matters and financially.
For more details on Christ Church visit visit Christ Church Chilwell
To learn more about the history of St Barnabas, Inham Nook visit visit the Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project
“We are the church on the hill and we want to bless our community”